Discover who you really are
Barry and Emma here.
If you have ever wanted to experience for yourself a moment of genuine spiritual awakening, or if you simply want to know who you truly are, then an Enlightenment Intensive may be for you.
Enlightenment Intensives are residential group retreats with a single aim: to help you find the answer to the question
"Who am I?"
Not just an answer in words or ideas, but a direct experience of who you are, of the very essence of your being, that which some call True Nature, or simply Truth.
In short, an experience of enlightenment.
What do we mean by "enlightenment"?
We know that enlightenment sounds far-fetched... The word can conjure up images of extraordinary saints and gurus, or a state of impossible perfection.
Yet the simple experience of "sudden enlightenment" is well known. In Zen, this sudden awakening is known as or kensho or satori.
- It is a timeless moment in which you suddenly, spontaneously, awaken to the way things actually are.
- It is the inner discovery of ultimate truth ... not by reading about it, not by listening to people who teach about it ... but by finding it for yourself, within yourself, by direct experience.
- It involves a breakthrough shift in consciousness, something far different from normal perceptions, thoughts and emotions ... a moment of true inner knowing.
Many traditions, as well as modern accounts, describe ordinary people who have experienced just such an awakening.
"I laughed with sheer joy at the'rightness' of it... No doubt you know the jubilantly satisfying 'click' one experiences when one finds the solution to, for instance, a complicated mathematical problem. Well, the experience I had was of a similar kind but carried to the ultimate. A king-size, super-hyper-Click!!! And with the feeling that I had 'come home'. It included the blissful awareness of unity, of being in all, and all being in me."
(from The Relevance of Bliss by Nona Coxhead)
What people experience in these moments of illumination is both universal and, paradoxically, unique to each person. Common descriptions include:
- A profound sense of having "come home"
- An awe and reverence for life
- Unparalleled joy
- Intense gratitude
- Quiet certainty
- A deep sense of Love
But above all they give an insight into reality that is absolute ... and hard to do justice with mere words!
The beauty of finding out for yourself
When you find something out for yourself, you are much more able to make use of it in your life.
Finding one's own truth for oneself is one of the hallmarks of Enlightenment Intensives - they are purely about self-discovery.
- You are not required or expected to buy into any belief system whatsoever.
- There are no teachings, no philosophy, no religion.
- There are no discussions about what the "answer" is or might be.
The only thing you are taught is a simple contemplation technique and nothing else. It is purely and simply about you finding out for yourself through your own experience here and now.
The only prerequisites on your part are -
- a sincere desire for self-knowledge, and
- an openness to the possibility that you can know yourself directly, beyond your normal thoughts and perceptions, at an absolute level.
What does it mean in your life?
Each person's journey of awakening is unique and we cannot tell you how it will affect your life. However, there are common themes which include:
- An infusion of new meaning and inspiration in your life
- A core of 'knowing' which isn’t dependent on how you feel or what anyone else says
- Increased reality and authenticity in relationships
- A deepening sense of spiritual connection
A single enlightenment experience is not a magic bullet which will solve your life and ensure your happiness forever.
What you discover already ‘is’; you just didn’t know it before. The knowing of it opens up new choices. The effects of this, described by many people, include:
- Deepening self acceptance
- Increased compassion for themselves and others
- Increased trust in life
- Greater ease in being themselves
- Greater clarity about their life's direction
We would like to inspire you with the very real possibility of discovering what it could mean for you.
Is it right for you?
Taking an Enlightenment Intensive may be right for you if any of these ring true:
- You are drawn to seek greater depth, truth and meaning in life.
- You would like to discover something within yourself that is absolute.
- You prefer to find things out for yourself.
- You want to discover the truth of who you are.
- You have read other people's stories of spiritual awakening and would like to experience it for yourself.
- You want to be more awake and more real.
- You want to live with greater authenticity and relate to others with more reality.
- You want to be more ‘yourself’ in life.
If so, then look next at our Further Information. It will tell you:
- How an enlightenment experience is possible in three days.
- What it's like to participate
- Where you would be staying and what the venue is like
Bath itself is one of the most beautiful cities in England, and easy to get to from mainland Europe.
For our next Enlightenment Intensives here in Bath, see the Dates page.
If you would like to book a place straight away, please use our online Registration Form.
Alternatively, you may have questions or you may simply want to get a better sense of who we are. We are always happy to answer any queries and to talk to people considering participating on an Intensive. Feel free to get in touch with us by email.